[VHFcontesting] Controversy

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Jul 29 12:51:48 EDT 2008

In all my years as a Single-Op Portable, I always thought it was more fun
just to go out - me and my radios - and see what I get.  Will I be lucky
and have some rare stations point their beams my way during a rare
opening? Or will I miss out?  In the CQWW VHF I called CQ on 144 MHz CW
and was answered by a station in EM66 off the back of my beam.  I returned
the call but never heard him again. Such is life.

I have no connections to anything you listed below.  No Internet, no APRS,
no repeater contact. I have a cell phone strictly for emergencies - I do
not contact anyone for skeds with it during a contest.

I also log on paper logs because battery energy is precious when you're an
hour from home and have no way to recharge other than through the car.
And gas is too expensive to let the car sit idling for four hours. My
laptop is good for about two hours on the internal battery.

And I almost always have a blast!

I hope to work some of you this weekend on 222 and above. Even though
there is no "Single-Op Portable" category for the ARRL UHF contest, my
best chances for QSO's are portable from a hilltop.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, k4gun at comcast.net wrote:

> If you believe that is the logic, then you haven't been listening.
>
> Use of APRS data is not allowed for non-assisted stations.  Why?
> Self spotting is not allowed.  Why?
> Use of repeaters is not allowed.  Why?
> Captive rovers are not allowed.  Why?
>
> They are not allowed because they have nothing to do with amateur practices.  They confer unfair advantages based on things outside of radio.  The ability to coordinate the movement of trucks so they can stay within eyesight in order to maximize scores is not a radio related skill.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Steve

> From: "Jim Forsyth" <mail at jimforsyth.com>
>
>> Well that guy should be in a special category because he is doing things
>> that make it impossible for small stations to compete. (I am pretty sure I
>> am following your logic correctly).
>>
>>> When a SOLP has double the points of the 2nd place guy, its because he has
>>> better antennas, better gear, better location, more devotion to stay up
>>> late, better operating skills and more modes than the other guys.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>> K4GUN/R