[VHFcontesting] Fun on the Magic Band...

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue Jun 3 14:47:58 EDT 2008

The past couple of days have brought some new "firsts" for me. Another local DX'er, KE4YZN, Randy Perrin, who lives only a few blocks from me was
on the other night, and we were taking turns working folks up and down the band.

At one point after making a quick QSO, I was called by AB6QM in California! This was my first contact with California on 6 Meters, and a lot of fun. But the best
was yet to come. We also both worked N0YK in Kansas. Randy worked him first and then I followed this time. When I told Chad that I was running 100 watts into a 3 element Yagi mounted in my attic, he replied, "You're actually louder than the other Alabama station".

Randy immediately chimed in, "Les is just showing off!".

For the record, Randy runs 500 watts into a 6 Element M2 at about 70 feet. While we all know that it's just the crazy atmosphere, and some nearly perfect takeoff angle at work, it still felt great to get that report.

Randy did manage to work several West Coast stations that were right at the noise level for me. He's a good friend, and very helpful to me when we're on the bands together.

Today brought my third country when I managed to work HR9/WQ7R! It was my first ever contact on 50.110. Like many newcomers, I'm terrified of transmitting in the
DX Window...but I heard his CQ loud and clear, and went right back to him. Guess I'll need to start monitoring that frequency as well.

Having a ball in EM63!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf