[VHFcontesting] Fun on the Magic Band...

Sebastian w4as at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 3 22:13:07 EDT 2008

Les, I'm in Miami Florida and we had an opening yesterday at 15:18 UTC
to EA8BPX, 3k or so from me according to QRZ.  It was a pleasant
surprise.  There was another station from Spain (according to DX
Sherlock) but I didn't hear him.  Today I worked 16 stations in less
than 1 hour.  I felt like I was at an exotic DX location!  There were
so many stations calling me at the same time, that it was difficult to
copy a complete, or even partial call to get back to.  For a while I
even considered going split.  There were stations calling me while I
was having QSOs!

I had to cut it short because I was expecting a phone call to pickup a
friend.  The phone call came while I was on the air, and I know there
must have been a lot of disappointed stations that didn't work me; and
I wish I could have stayed, but I had prior commitments.

I started on 50.125, and as soon as I made my first contact, I moved
up a bit, and it seems that everyone followed me!   It was great fun.
For about the last 3 weeks, all I have been doing is working stations
on 6, I have no idea how the other bands are doing.  All this on a
TS-2000, 100 watts into a 5 element beam at 40'.

I haven't heard you in there, you're not in my log, but I'm retired,
and if the band is open in Florida, I'll be on there someone on 6.

One thing though, is the amount of people having 	QSOs on the calling
frequency.  I must admit I have done that, it's easy to forget where
you are when you get lots of stations calling you.  So to those
reading this - please let's keep the calling frequency for what it is
intended for, call CQ, make a contact, and MOVE up the band.  It makes
it a lot easier for the rest of us, after all, we have a huge band to
work with, and most of it isn't getting used!

73 de W4AS
Sebastian