[VHFcontesting] VHF Ethics and real time information sources

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Wed Jun 18 13:46:01 EDT 2008

As you all know, I'm a completed newcomer to weak signal work. To date, I've
only participated in two VHF contests, and the Spring Sprints. I like to
think that this gives me an "outsiders" viewpoint. I've read the "World
Above 50mhz" for years, and even subscribed to CQ VHF for a long time, but
only skimmed a lot of that information. VHF was something I planned to do
"someday". Glad that day finally arrived.

I know that there is a lot of politics surrounding the contests, with some
feeling like folks in the Northeast have an advantage? Never really
understood all that. But some things really stuck out to me in the days
since the June contest.

Newbie Observations
A. I don't think the rules prohibit using information sources other than
spotting networks. So, no callsigns, no foul, I would think. I'm amazed at
how some very serious operators in our area NEVER use these sources. Many of
them still log on paper, and a couple I know don't have the Internet or a
computer in the shack.

I think that's a shame, but I understand it.

B. I found the contest to be too "6 Meter" dominant. Let's face it, if
you're interested in a high score, then it makes little sense to move
someone up to 2 meters or higher, when your run rate is high on 6. It just
takes too long to move someone, especially when you get into the higher
bands. I was told before hand, "if six is open, stay on it".

Like many casual contesters, I'm interested in logging new countrie----er, I
mean new grids. So I spent more time on 2 Meters and up than a lot of folks
in my section. My score reflects that.

If part of the reason for these contests is to encourage activity on the
higher bands, I think that high band contacts should be weighed more than
they currently are.

At one point in the contest, 2 Meter E-Skip was really hot. I had been
working six, and noticed that all the skip was getting shorter and shorter.
A quick check of 2 Meters revealed that "bubbling" sound that I associate
with e-skip. I started calling CQ, and was immediately rewarded with KC0TPP
in EM48. This was followed by W0ETT booming in from the West. He worked me
and then called CQ over and over, with no takers. We ended up almost
ragchewing...both of us laughing and joking that everyone was on six.

I posted to the spotter networks, hoping that the multi-op big guns would at
least start calling...nothing. Activated the local "phone tree" to give
folks a chance to work e-skip. One local said, "Have fun, but there's no way
I'm moving off six right now. It's wide open!" As a grid chaser, it was
disappointing to know that many, many grids might be workable but the
operators were not going to be there.

If the points were greater for high band contacts, you'd see more and more
folks adding the high bands to their shacks. And that's good for all of us
right?

C. Just as in daily operations, VHF operators are some of the best in
amateur radio. They're certainly the nicest and most helpful. Time and again
I was greeted by stations in the middle of good runs when they recognized my
callsign. They took time to stop and encourage me to continue with VHF
activity. Many also wished me Happy Father's Day. One or two offered advice
about indoor antennas.

Try finding that on HF! I think our ethics are well represented in general.

D. Hogging the calling frequency. In an effort to "win something" I
witnessed some folks who just got on the calling frequency (144.200) and
called CQ non-stop. They would also complete their QSO's on the frequency
and sometimes get into rag chews. That's fine when the band is dead, even
during the contest, but when it's open, it's not in the spirit of the rules.
Not sure what can be done about it.

Obviously, we all wish folks would move off. I was very pleased to work
W6AEI in EM63, who I heard calling CQ on 144.205! Maybe they'll start a
trend.

E. Big points for WSJT mode. These contacts take a lot of time, and that
limits the number of stations who will attempt them. They usually just fill
in the nighttime hours. It would be great to see the points changed to
reward stations that use this mode.

As someone else stated last week, the mode should become a standard part of
the package for anyone planning a "grid-expedition". It is the only way to
almost guarantee that you'll at least work a few folks beyond the adjacent
grids. But for it to be the most successful, more stations have to be
encourage to use it. One way to do that is to reward those who use it during
contests.

F. In short, I think that contests have a unique role in the VHF/UHF world
that they don't have on HF. That is to encourage hams to get on the air,
invest in bands without a lot of activity, and build a sense of community.
Let's face it, VHF can be a lonely place.

I'd encourage the decision makers to keep that role in mind when contest
rules and scoring are revised. Perhaps one of the smaller contests, such as
the Sprints could consider allowing the use of spotter networks, and change
the points structure a bit to encourage WSJT operation. It's got to be
easier for them to avoid the politics associated with league events.

Lastly, I know it's easy for me to say some of this. Limited to indoor
antennas, I'm never going to win my section, a band, or anything of
importance. If I was competing for a plaque, maybe I'd feel differently. And
my lack of experience makes me unqualified to judge anyway. As I said, it's
largely the viewpoint of an outsider at this point.

I had a complete blast, and can't wait to do it again. CQ VHF is just around
the corner...and I'm already looking forward to it. Thanks to all who worked
me, and especially those who offered encouragement. As I've told many of my
ham friends, "Come on up, The Weather is Great Up Here".

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf

Les Rayburn, director