[VHFcontesting] Post-Contest Grid Square Queries

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 19 07:08:28 EDT 2008

Hello Sebastian,
I made no contacts above 432 this time around in June, but usually can make
50-75 Qs on 1.2 CW and SSB from my location in SW Maine. The way we all do
it is to work someone on either six or two and run them up the bands. The
six and two ops ask each station worked if they have higher bands and
proceed from there.  Single op stations do likewise.
    Before the limited multi category was established, there was enough
random  activity on 1296 so that the guy running that station called CQ
periodically, and got answers. There were "activity hours" for each band.
The limited multi rules caused a big drop in stations active on 1296. That,
combined with computer logging, enabled more efficient running up the higher
bands (at least for multi op stations) The result today is that there are
almost no random contacts on the bands above 432 here. They are all sent up
after working them on a lower frequency.

73
Dave K1WHS