[VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions

Joe Taylor joe at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jun 19 08:50:15 EDT 2008

Duane, Paul, and all,

Paul Kiesel wrote:
> As far as random operating on FSK441 goes, I think
> it's a great opportunity to make QSOs that you might
> not have made otherwise - and I plan to start doing
> that myself when things are slow.
>
> But random JT65 EME QSOs are another matter. Searching
> the bands, one would be hard pressed to find an
> ongoing EME QSO unless one of the participants lived
> within terrestrial propagation range.

I assure you that random EME QSOs with JT65 are entirely
feasible and a great deal of fun.  I make nearly 100% of my
EME QSOs that way; these include some 440 "initials" and 70
DXCCs, nearly all in the last couple of years.  In the 2007
ARRL EME contest my (multi-op) station made 175 QSOs on 2m,
and in the 2008 January VHF SS I made 35 EME QSOs.  All of
these were 100% "random"; I make it a point to disconnect
from the internet before the start of a contest, and remain
disconnected for the duration.

The secret for random JT65 EME is the software called MAP65,
freely available to anyone.  Descriptive links may be found
at http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/ .

With best wishes,

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT