[VHFcontesting] 6m Dominant

Anthony Rick asrick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:51:57 EDT 2008

What a strange conversation...

I remember seeing at least a dozen posts describing what a disappointment
the 2007 June contest was because 6m never really opened up.  Several people
expressed their frustration after obtaining a new HF/6m transceiver and
feeling like it was a waste of money because their QSO totals were higher
for 222 MHz and above.

Maybe this year was just an example of how it is possible to get too much of
a good thing?

It is my prediction that eliminating 6m from the June contest would cause a
major drop in VHF/UHF activity as a whole.  Also, can't the same logic be
applied to an HF contest?  Should 20 - 160 meters be eliminated from CQWW at
solar cycle minima to promote activity on 10 and 15 meters?  This way people
could enjoy contesting without the need of a selective receiver or
directional antenna which may be required when conditions on 20m are
favorable.

Anthony