[VHFcontesting] Single Operators, Ethics, and 6 Meters

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 21:20:10 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Mike (KA5CVH) Urich <ka5cvh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Multi-op stations can certainly use Ping Jockey to get info
> on stations, as long as that station is not self-spotting or
> asking another to spot them.
>
> Mike asks because he doesn't know
>
> How does that differ from HamIM?  Isn't HamIM self
> promoting ... like "here I am come work me"
Mike,
You may be inadvertantly associating HamIM with APRS.

APRS
Assisted: digipeaters repeat what they hear, extending your range beyond what your station is normally capable of covering

Non-Amateur: your communications will be gated to the Internet

Low power: because of all of the assistance that the digipeater infrastructure offers

HamIM
Unassisted: no digipeating takes place

All-Amateur: Operates on 147.585 MHz, where there is no APRS infrastructure to gate to the Internet

High power: to overcome the lack of assistance from digipeaters

Said another way, HamIM's ID's are just like calling CQ on simplex FM, except it is done on AX.25 rather than by voice. QSO's take place through keyboard messaging rather than by voice. It is fully compliant and ARRL contest desk approved because of that.

Ev, W2EV