[VHFcontesting] distance scoring

Gabor Horvath, VE7DXG ve7dxg at rac.ca
Fri Jun 20 11:33:53 EDT 2008

Here is a personal story.
Ten years ago (or is it 20?) I was all fired up about VHF contests. Get a
10W 2m radio, the home brew antenna, etc. together, drive up to the local
scenic lookout, sleep in a tent, eat canned beans, make 50 contacts on 2m,
and enjoy it.
Now I drag 3 times the radios, antennas, etc. so I can be on 8 bands. I talk
to the same 50 guys on 2m and "run through then bands" with them, and make
300 contacts. Yippie! I still don't work the DX (now I have the equipment,
but not the time, because I'm busy on 927.5 talking to the next grid over
for the mulitplier). I work that rover 35 times in a contest, never more
than a 100 miles away, but he's in the local "rare" grid. You know, the same
one he was in last contest when we worked 35 times. Sure, I can run 6-1296
in 2 minutes or less with the guy 50 miles away for 12 points.
Not that I don't enjoy talking to the locals (my friends), but it's the same
darn thing every contest. It's like having steak each and every day.
And if 6 is open you know what happens.
Here is one scenario I floated around a few times to a pretty cold
reception:
Purpose: "Make more miles on VHF".
A contest with 4 bands: 2, 432, 1296 and 10G.
Exchange: Six digit grids and serial number.
No rovers. No multipliers. No FM.
1point/km on 2m, up to 4p/km on 10G.
73,
Gabor, VE7DXG