[VHFcontesting] distance scoring

Glen Overby goverby at charter.net
Fri Jun 20 12:11:27 EDT 2008

Gregg Seidl, k9kl wrote:
> I'd LOVE to see distance scoring.Its the only way to make it "fair" for
> those who live out in the sticks.I'm amazed at how many stations are worked
> with smaller stations in high population areas.

But isn't the grid multipliers a form of distance scoring?  If you can only
reach out 100 miles, you can only get about 9 grids.  When you can reach out
further, you can collect more grids.  Es and Aurora will help stretch that, but
you have to be in the chair when they're there.

I'm not convinced that distance scoring will even the playing field between
"the sticks" and high population areas.  While a lot of the Qs in high
population areas are metro-area-local and thus short, the better stations
there will still work a lot of long distance contacts.  I know of a few
"sticks" stations that are almost the only guy in the grid, who do extremely
well.

Glen, kc0iyt/r