[VHFcontesting] 6meter - distance scoring

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sat Jun 21 09:16:33 EDT 2008

Hi Duane

I agree with you. Leveling the playing field is certainly not the issue and
distance scoring may or may not help. I do think it would help get the
rovers off the roads and back to using higher gain directional antennas and
operating more from good locations which would in turn save them time and
gas. I just can't imagine the future of rovers if the gas prices don't come
back down. To get people to move up the bands when 6 is open is to increase
the points per contact. Currently, the qso points are the same in June for 6
and 2 meters. Since 6 was open for so long, the only incentive last weekend
to move to 2 meters was to get a new multiplier, set up higher band contact,
or listen for the e skips possibilities as the MUF came up.

After operating VHF contest for over 30 years, I can tell you that the 6
meter opening last weekend was out side of the normal band conditions for
the June contest. Building more capable stations for DX and working more
bands should be the goal for everyone. Using 6 digits is not necessary but
helps to determine the direction of a station especially for the microwave
operators. I think using 6 digits should remain optional and not required.

A (true contester) goes to the band where he can make the most score for the
time spent. A (VHF DXer) is looking for new grids activated in the contest.
A (VHF newbe) is just wanting to get on and work someone to learn about the
bands and meet other people. We have a lot of people that get on in contest
for many different reasons but the bottom line is to have fun. I think
striving for distance contacts (DX) on any band by any station fits many
operator profiles regardless of the individuals motivations. Distance
scoring is certainly going to enhance the reason to make further contacts.
Sooner or later the newbe will eventually move to one or both of the
other categories mentioned.

Ron W4WA