[VHFcontesting] Fixed antennas and indoor installations

N6FD n6fd at mchsi.com
Fri Jun 27 16:04:20 EDT 2008

If you are worried about the cost of the fixed yagis, this would seem an
ideal situation for a rope yagi.  There was an article a few years back
about someone who made a 100 element 2M yagi using welding rod and
rope.  The elements are cut to length and tied onto a couple of ropes
and then suspended in the desired direction.  Since you don't have to
worry about weather in the attic, this could be done very simply.

A quagi feed would probably work well.   I built one out of 1x2 wood and
12ga copper wire along with some copper welding rod directors that got
me through my first few VHF contests.  Seemed to work as well as the
commercial antennas; just didn't last as long out in the weather.

73, Erich, N6FD DM15dp