[VHFcontesting] SPLAT!

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 22:25:09 EDT 2008

Ron - Yes, RadioMobile is an excellent application. It uses the same
Longley-Rice Irregular Terrain Model that SPLAT! does. SPLAT! is
available as either a web based application or as a stand alone LINUX
application.

I suggested the SPLAT! web based application for three reasons;

1. It is operating system agnostic. Anybody with a computer, internet
access, and a browser can use it. RadioMobile is a Windows product and
the stand alone SPLAT! is a LINUX Product. The web based application
opens up path loss calculations to all computer users.

2. The digital elevation models for all of North America already exist
in the web based application. One must download these independent of
the application if you wish to use a stand alone application. This
adds another step to the process.

3. The learning curve for the web based application is far shorter
than the stand alone applications, either RadioMobile or SPLAT!. One
can have a path loss calculation in minutes in the web based SPLAT!.
RadioMobile takes much longer, as does the stand alone SPLAT!.

For those who want a quick, but still accurate idea of VHF coverage,
particularly to specific locations, I think that the web based
application is an excellent way to go. RadioMobile and the standalone
SPLAT! may be more versatile, but I think that the accuracy, within
the input parameters specified, is similar. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey