[VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Mon Mar 31 18:45:31 EDT 2008

Hello to all....I was one of those that pushed the VUAC hard for the
"Family Rule" to be specifically allowed in the rules.  This because I
have a father with 3 sons(ages like 9, 11, and 12) all of whom had
calls.  The old rules, as intrepreted by the ARRL functionary at the
time, essentially forced two of the sons to stay home.  This was a
ridiculous result....how do you tell two of your ham sons that they
can't go??

The concept behind the "Family Rule" is to allow each ham in a "Family"
to make contacts during a contest using common equipment.  The specific
inclusion of the "Family Rule" creates an "exemption" that also covers
the "two operator" problem / rule.  So far, so good..

In the VHF / UHF world, we have a very definite and rigid definition of
a contact.  Each party to a contact must send AND receive his call, the
other call, a signal report or grid, and a Roger.  That definition is
long standing, agreed to by all serious VHF / UHF operators(at least all
that I have ever known), and has served us very well.  The problem that
I see with the idea of using the common equipment to work others in the
same rover, is that you cannot receive ANY of the information that you
are supposed to receive.  I suppose you could somehow set up a station
that could receive and transmit simultaneously, so I suppose even this
"hurdle" could be overcome.

All that being said, using the common gear to "work" the other calls in
the vehicle, seems to be pretty convoluted.  I don't think anyone
envisioned that as a possibility.  It may be that this practice is not
specifically outlawed and therefore, using the logic of the grid
circlers, you can do it.  Still, I think this would be stretching the
rubber band pretty tight.  Others may disagree....your mileage may
vary.  73's to all.  Marshall K5QE