[VHFcontesting] Advice on Pre-Amps

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue May 6 16:13:19 EDT 2008

I'm in a HOA situation, and restricted to attic mounted antennas.
Fortunately, it's a large and high attic. Runs back to the shack are fairly
long. 75 feet each. I have 1/2" Andrews Heliax for all runs with 6 foot long
"rotor loops" made from LMR-400 Flex at the end.

All pre-amps are mast mounted between the hardline and the rotor loops.

I mounted a tripod to the rafters in my attic, with a single rotor and an 11
foot tall mast. All antennas are mounted to that one stack, with the low
band 6 meter antenna on the bottom, then the 2 meter, 222, 432, and 1296 on
top.

In addition, I have a 6 Meter Halo mounted just above my operating position
in the attic, connected with a short run of hardline. About 20 feet or so.
Some J-Poles and a small vertical beam for FM too. All connected with the
hardline. All runs come into the garage inside a trough made of stained wood
that I built just for this purpose.

I'd like to go to 7/8" hardline at some point, at least for 432 and 1296.
But I'll have to budget for that expense.

73,

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111