[VHFcontesting] K8MMM - Silent Key

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sat Nov 1 19:52:34 EDT 2008

I first ran into Tom, K8MMM on six meter scatter back in 1964 or 1965. Not sure of the date exactly, but I lived in Connecticut, was a young kid, and put up a big  yagi on six meters (courtesy of W1RJA) with a 500 watt HB 4E27A amp, soon followed by a bigger push pull 4-400A amp along with a homebrew filter type SSB exciter. I immediately was working SSB ionospheric scatter and K8MMM was one of the guys my brother and I worked every night after 11:30 when the nightly news was over! I always felt a close association with that early group. Besides K8MMM, there was W3KWH, WA9OUU, K9DZK, and some other experimenters spread across Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. K8MMM was always 100% readable no matter what. He had his act together then. I always enjoyed working him over the years, remembering those early days of VHF ssb.
    I will miss Tom's signal. This is a sad day.

73 Dave K1WHS