[VHFcontesting] K8MMM - Silent Key

Chet, N8RA chetsubaccount at snet.net
Sat Nov 1 20:57:06 EDT 2008

This is sad to hear. I had lost contact with Tom after I moved to CT. I
heard a rumor he had moved to E. Pa somewhere and expected he would pop up
on 6 or 2M sometime.

I do not remember the first time I met Tom, but it must have been some
connection when I was in my late teens and lived in Cleveland and was active
on 6M with my 2E26 amplifier. Whether it was the SE amateur radio club, or a
mutual friend, I wound up with Tom in the 50 Megacycle DX Club of Cleveland.
Many fun times were had with that group, or visiting at his folk's house in
Novelty. His Mom, Elsie, WA8AJY, was a particular delight to have coffee
with, and his Dad, Lonnie, could grill up a great steak. It was Tom's tall
towers and big amplifiers, but especially his spirit in bucking the
conventional thinking on 6M that has inspired me to this day. Many of the
local mortals thought he was making it up, but he really could make those
contacts- I heard him do it. That was a great location and a fine station.

Later on, he was a kingpin in putting together a wide area coverage 2M
repeater system serving Geauga and Cuyahoga counties and surroundings. He
was big on Disaster Services as it was called at the time, and I travelled
with him to Madison Ohio during a blizzard once to provide emergency
communications out of that area, whose phone system had been disabled.

Then I guess I was an easy mark when he wanted to back off the repeater
system and somehow I wound up with a remoter 2M receiver, a bunch of 440 Mhz
remote links, a 220 MHz link to the transmitter site, and a homebrew control
system in my basement with UHF antennas scattered all around one of my
towers. That was also a great but abrupt learning experience, and he was
always available to advise and help.

Sorry to hear of his passing away. RIP and good weak signal DX Tom!

Chet, N8RA