[VHFcontesting] QST_ June contest write up

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 13:50:49 EST 2008

I couldn't agree more.  There are other problems with the grid circling crew as well.  They really detract from what is done by other rovers, especially in the state of CA.  Take for example the guy who placed 4th in the June contest.  K6EU scored 22000 points which is a good score if he slogged it out for each QSO and had a good plan and antenna system.  He's in the same area as the circling group.  Is his score "real" or was it the product of being buddies with the right guys so he got in on part of the circle party?  I haven't seen anything to suggest that he did anything other than bust his butt, but simple geography raises the question.

There is absolutely no question that the circling group is violating the spirit of the rules.  They have not (to my knowledge) violated the letter of the rules.  To me, that's an indictment of the rules themselves.  They need changed.

Here's another frustration.  I too would like to see the actual logs.  Part of the point of having a contest is to see how you did against others who are similarly equipped.  I'd like to see how I can improve my system, plan and route and looking at the results of others helps this.  I'm not however, going to judge my performance against guys doing something I wont and can't do.  Publishing the logs would allow me to figure out who's operating in ways that make it irrelevant for me to be compared.

I know this subject was closed the last time it was discussed.  It may be again, but I am glad its back on the radar.

Steve

K4GUN/R