[VHFcontesting] More Roving

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 09:03:34 EST 2008

I think we may be making this a LOT more complicated than it needs to be.  The 4 point issue wouldn't be an issue were it not for the grid squaring.  They couldn't possibly make enough contacts on the microwave bands if they were not with a group.  I think two very minor additions to the rules would clear things up pretty quickly:

1.  Limited Rover limited to 10 contacts with any single other rover.  Classic Rover limited to 20.

2.  Limited and Classic Rover shall not participate in group efforts intended to coordinate contacts over multiple grids with other rovers.

Yes, I know that second one is a bit vague, but that's intentional.  Its a catch-all to allow the ARRL to make determinations when somebody tries to wiggle through a loophole.  There's more than one of those in the rules already.  One more can only help.

The first one might do the trick by itself.  Without traveling together, I think its pretty hard to make more than those limits anyway.  Having the current 100 contact limit is just ridiculous.

Steve

K4GUN/R