[VHFcontesting] Publishing logs

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Thu Nov 20 11:05:14 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:49:20AM -0600, Dave Carlson wrote:

> W2EV said -
>

> > We operate openly, on public airwaves and able to be surveilled without
> > our knowledge by anyone with a receiver -- yet the claimed result of that
> > operation is hidden from view of other licensed participants.
> >
> > Publish those logs.
> >

> What right do you have to my logs??? None. If you're so interested in what
> someone else is doing then spend your time following them around noting who
> they work. The airwaves are "public", my log is not.
>
> I'll spend my time operating.
>
> It is up to the sponsor of the contest to properly adjudicate the results.
>
> Privacy is not an admission of guilt.

I agree with your last statement, but I've never understood why someone
cares about keeping their logs secret.  Would baseball be the same if all
that was ever published were the final scores and nobody was allowed to
publish the other statistics of the game?  If your reaction to that is,
"well, you could go to every game and score them yourself", I think that's
kind of ridiculous, don't you?  It would harm the sport of baseball, just
as keeping logs secret harms the sport of contesting.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/