[VHFcontesting] What bands to Limited Rovers use ?

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Thu Nov 20 14:58:17 EST 2008

Hello John & all.

I did a "five minute analysis" on what bands the Limited Rovers used for
the January (n= 24 logs) and June (n=26 logs) contests.  I combined these
into one pool ... perhaps not the best idea but it gives us some insight
here.   The band usage for these 50 logs breaks down as follows:

6m = 88%
2m = 98%
222 = 38%
432 = 84%
902 = 0 %
1296 = 10%
2304 = 4%
3456 = 5760 = 10G = 2%

No QSOs on 902, or 24 GHz and up.   16 of these 50 logs operated with 6, 2,
222, and 432, the most common four band combo.   The other four band combo
was 6, 2, 432 and 1296 with 4 logs.   20 logs operate with just three
bands, almost always 6, 2, and 432.    I think there were three two band
logs, both 6 & 2m.   This was fast and by eye, so the numbers may be off a
little bit.

The standout in this data is the winning June score that used 2304, 3456,
5760, and 10 GHz with a score that was nearly 3X the second place score
.... 97,328 versus 36,585.

My impression is that most Limited Rovers have adopted the concept that
this category is targeted to the entry level and/or those with less
equipment (then the multiband rovers like me), and that 6, 2, 432 are what
they have.

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R