[VHFcontesting] Rover stuff

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Fri Nov 21 06:53:13 EST 2008

I put Rover in the subject so all of those subscribed to the reflector
who don't like receiving email can easily delete it :-)

>This is where I have a "problem" with limiting the number of QSO's with
>another rover station to some arbitrary number, unless the formula for
>determining
>this rule can be made to be understandable to the participants without
>unnecessarily modifying the "normal" behavior of "uncoordinated" rovers who
>happen across other rovers during the contest.

I don't like this idea either.   I believe this is likely why the number was set so high in the current rules [100].

Here is an arbitrary scenario:
Rover A is northbound in EM77 and hears Rover B.  Rover B is southbound in EM79.  They run their 10 bands for the first 10 QSO's.  As both enter EM78, they run another 10 QSO's, 20 total so far.  When A hits EM79, and B hits EM77, they run again and now have 30 each.  And this could likely hit 50 or 60 QSO's for each Rover in an "un-circled" meeting.  I don't like the idea of penalizing Rover A and B in this scenario.

I don't like the idea of restricting the "re-activation" of grids either, but it may be the solution that hurts the least...

Here is a thought:
Drop grids as mults.  Give one multiplier for each unique call sign contacted....  Did I come up with this, or did someone else already propose it?  We have been over this ground so many times I can't remember...  Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning...

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla> List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books