[VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem....

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Nov 21 10:35:51 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 02:16:52PM +0000, k4gun at comcast.net wrote:

> I don't think elimiating grid reactivation would do much.  For absolute maximum score, given an unlimited amount of time, that would help, but a huge score could still be racked up by coordinated movement that didn't reactivate grids.

It would just change the strategy so that a pack of four rover vehicles
would rack up the points of one vehicle and not care about the score of the
other three.  Maybe those other three vehicles don't even turn in a log and
thus don't have to follow the rules...

I think the only real solution to identify these cases as situation where
a single contest operation (the pack, or the multi-op with captive rovers is
really one highly-coordinated contest operation) using multiple call signs
to work itself, which is clearly against the rules.

Imagine an HF contest where a multi-op claimed QSO credit for QSOs with its
own operators.  Upon investigation, you found out that they actually used a
separate radio on the other side of the room with a light bulb or a dummy
load as an antenna to make those QSOs.  That station would be disqualified
with good cause.  Circle rovers and captive rovers are the same situation.
Those contest operations should be disqualified, and we don't need new
complicated rules to do so.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com