[VHFcontesting] rig recommendations for portable operation

John Geiger aa5jg at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 17:19:57 EST 2008

The TS2000 has several advantages over the other radios mentioned for portable and roving VHF operations:
1. You can add 1.2ghz so you have 4 bands in one box
2. It has higher output power on 2m and 70cm, so amps aren't as necessary
3. It is less menu driven than the others, which is important if you are driving
4. It has the subreceiver so you can monitor 2m and 70cm FM simplex during the contest while also working SSB/CW.
5. You can install a voice keyer in it to call CQ while roving.  The Icom 7000 also has this feature.
6. It has separate 2m and 70cm antenna jacks so a duplexer isn't needed if you run separate antennas for 2m and UHF.

73s John AA5JG