[VHFcontesting] Great Microwave Conditions in EM85 TN Again Sunday

N8UM n8um at comcast.net
Sun Sep 7 18:45:52 EDT 2008

For those of you that follow the http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=na propagation maps, it is no suprise, but we had great conditions in mid-America again over the last couple of days.  I had planned to take the Mountainmobile out Saturday morning, but deferred until today.  Got up at 5am, checked the prop maps, made a couple of posts the the prop loggers and headed 40 miles across the valley to the Smoky Mountains.  I operate from a litte 2200 ft asl ridge that is on a paved road (EM85BQ Foothills Parkway).  Got the antennas erected by 1100z, powered up the generator and rigs, and there was W5LUA on 144.200 S9+++.  A quick call yielded a response and Q's on 902, 1296 and 2304 with great signals.  We even switched to SSB on each band!  That's 650 to 700 miles with 3 and 6 foot loopers on my end.  Al pleaded with me to head the six miles to North Carolina, but the route is 45 minutes long thru heavy tourist traffic.

The antennas are no higher that 18 ft off the rear of the Astro van!  Pictures of the setup are at http://www.chuckmartin.com/VHFContest2003_3.htm .  Numerous other contacts followed from EM00, 11, 12, 13, 32, 35, 45, 54 and several EL grids.  Many guys were hearing the K4UHF beacons.  I had to go home and harvest the lawn so I tore down the setup at 1430z.  KM5PO, W3XO/5, K5LLL, K5QE and many others were still strong.

Its been a great year here in Tennessee. Arizona on 144 in June, great fun in the Aug UHF test with K2DRH calling me, and now the incredible tropo over several days.  Unfortunately it has been almost a 17 year dry spell since conditions were this good, so this means I am probably in for another long period of just white noise...

Thanks to:

Al Gore for inventing the Internet

All the folk that maintain ARPS and prop logger pages

N4QWZ for being a beacon from central TN and letting people know the band is open

N2CEI for designing great equipment

Mike Staal and Dave Olean for providing great antennas

and all the guys that stay up till 2am and get back on at 6am.

John B.  N8UM  Oak Ridge, Tennessee