[VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint - Questions

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 13:09:56 PDT 2009

> From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander at rogers.com>
> Sounds to me that in conditions like this that JT65x would
> result in QSOs that otherwise couldn't be made.  Since QSOs
> = FUN, I wonder if there's any interest in this possibility?  I'm
> just starting to tinker with JT65 and think it has great
> potential.
>
> Had a look at the rules and didn't see anything (in my
> quick scan) that would rule it out.

Great question, Ken.  The answer is in what is lacking from ARRL and CQ rules: mode-based QSO differentiation.  Said another way...a QSO is a QSO without regard as to the mode on which it takes place.

I've always wondered about a PSK31 event.  It would eliminate the "congestion of the calling frequency" since all transceivers would be on the same one...but the waterfall would be scanned for participants.

Even in the highest density portions of the NA continent, I doubt QRM would be a problem...though desense from a nearby operator may be. :)

Ev, W2EV