[VHFcontesting] KF8QL/R UHF Contest - Thanks!

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:40:05 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:23 PM, David DeVos <kf8ql at yahoo.com> wrote:

> - 3.4 at 1 watt just doesn't make contacts.  It's a tough band - I need an
> amp - next time

Over what distances were you trying to work on 3.4 and what kind of antenna?
I ran 1 watt to a 2-foot dish fed with a WA3RMX Triband feed and worked
everyone I tried for. Distances were on the order of 120-150 miles.

> - Roving at night.  It's getting to the point that I don't feel comfortable
> stopping out on country roads at night in the middle of nowhere.  Too many
> wierd encounters.
>
> I have had a little concern about this while sitting on the hill I like to
use at night. But I guess it's SO out in the middle of nowhere and so
secluded (and it's on private property) that no one has ever bothered me at
night. You can only see my station from the road coming from the west during
daylight, where there isn't anything but corn and soybean fields, but I do
use a Coleman lantern at night while operating. So far I haven't attracted
anything but bugs!

73, Zack W9SZ