[VHFcontesting] Good places for VHF Contesting?

Renner, PY7RP py7rp at yahoo.com.br
Wed Aug 5 12:15:11 PDT 2009

Hello Steve

I am making a hard analysis on the results of the last 7 years
of contest. There is a big data base to work on it. As i said
before, the study of case is being done in the Brazilian VHF
Contest, which has the score formula given by:
Sum of all distances of contacted stations multiplied by the
number of worked stations. If you find a place which maximizes
this value, you may get the best place to operate from.

There are regions where you get big densities of operators
instead of others. You may prefer to go to places away from these
places but not so far away, because "maybe" the probability
of contacts may decrease too much. I guess you may find an
optimum place, analyzing each contest scenario.

Well, if i find something interesting i gonna post it here to hear
comments.

73 Renner
PY7RP

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 06:55:19 Renner, PY7RP wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I am making a study about good places for VHF Contesting.
> I wanna prove that there is a good place, the optimum place
> to setup a station and this place has the biggest probability
> of getting a good high score instead of others.
>
> The study of case is being made on the Brazilian VHF Contest
> called "CB144". The score formula is based on the sum of
> all distances between contacted grids, multiplied by the number
> of contacted stations.
>
> Has anyone ever saw any study like that?
>
> 73 Renner
> PY7RP

I have been thinking of this all day, and I don't see how you can make
a meaningful study of "good" places.  There are many variables which
will determine how well you do on a contest besides the physical
location, so I don't think you can quantify this.

One thing that all good places have in common is height for the
antennas.  Beyond that, things diverge.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82