[VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving

Steve Clifford k4gun.r at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:40:18 EST 2009

I was really afraid this would happen and it has.  My comments were
misunderstood.  I completely agree with your comment about setting a newbie
down at a big contest station.  Its exactly what is being done by this
contest group in CA.  There's NOTHING wrong with that!  I think its great.
I think its a fantastic way for a newbie to get involved.

My "bitch" as you call it is about the rules, not the people exploiting
them.  N6NB has taken rule exploitation to an extreme level with his loaner
boxes and caravan operation.  What he is doing is within the rules.
Therefore, the rules need changed.  I apologize if I was not clear on that
point.

Please don't think that I am opposed to getting help and elmering from
other's who have gone before you.  I'm also a beneficiary of that and will
again in the future.
The difference in this situation seems pretty clear though, but perhaps its
not as clear from your perspective.  Handing a newbie a turnkey station,
along with a complete operating plan and having them follow a caravan is
something very different than helping a new rover set up and test a
station.  Its the difference between a newbie sitting down at a big contest
club's multi-op station and an elmer coming in and helping them get started.

The N6NB crew is a roving multi-operator station.  They've done it under the
rules.  I just think the rules need changed to address that reality.

Steve