[VHFcontesting] DIstance Scoring for Contests

G0MIC at aol.com G0MIC at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 13:37:59 EST 2009

Hi Fellas,

If you need rules for distance scoring then take a look at _www.vhfcc.org_
(http://www.vhfcc.org)  which is the UK RSGB VHF  contesting site.  Download the
General and Special rules and the VHF Field  Day Rules.

6 digit Maidenhead locators are used and are easily available on a number  of
GPS units and can easily be calculated from Lat/Lon available on virtually
every GPS and from Maps and to 10 characters on Google Earth.

Computer logging is not a necessity as the adjudication software does the
scoring anyway, it helps and enables people to put up their own claimed scores
for others to see.

The systems are well tried and tested in the UK and Europe and whilst  there
are biases in the system brought about by demographics we have learned to
live with them or have moved our contest sites to suit!

Regards

Malcolm
G0MIC