[VHFcontesting] distance scoring

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 12 00:09:40 EST 2009

I know I am going to regret this but I am going to throw my two cents in on
this subject with a story.  Every year when W4NH goes to the top of Soco
Bald in NC we always take a bunch of maps of all the surrounding states with
us.  Why you ask?  Because every contest we get at least a few and sometimes
more than just a few stations who don't even know what a grid square is let
alone which one they are in.  When that happens we pull out the maps and do
twenty questions trying to determine where they are at (no, we don't do this
if the band is open).  Usually we can get enough information to determine
their 4 digit grid square.  Six digits?  Forget about it!  The reason
distance scoring works on 10 GHz and 160 meters is because the folks on
those bands know what they are doing.  The guy who just got an Icom 706 and
is using it on an FM vertical at home for the first time and just happens to
hear W4NH calling CQ doesn't know what he is doing.  It is going to be a
real shame and discouraging when I tell him that his contact doesn't count
because he doesn't know his six digit grid square.  That having been said,
you might be able to convince me that it would be something to try in the
UHF contest.  Most of the operators in that contest are experienced.  For
January, June and September where you will have some significant number of
newbies distance scoring is counter productive.

73
Jim, W4KXY
W4NH Six Meter Band Captain
VUAC Southeastern Division Representative