[VHFcontesting] Rover rules: Comments on feedback so far

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Wed Feb 18 09:57:00 EST 2009

The idea of not allowing rovers to reactivate a previously activated grid
has been discussed in the past, it is not a new idea, it was discussed by
the VUAC with the changes that occurred last year, and it is almost
universally dislike by rovers for all the same reasons that have been
restated here.   It really does more harm than good .... and it isn't clear
what the good is either other than its an easy rule to understand.   Can we
set this one aside as "having been discussed" ?

Regarding the 30 QSO limit, please remember that this limit is just a
dividing line between classic rover and unlimited rover.  It is a dividing
line not unlike the 200 watt dividing line that separates SOLP from SOHP.
Rovers can make more than 30 Q's with any one other rover just like single
operators can run more than 200 watts .... both scenarios place them in
different operating categories because of the advantages they have and for
the fairness of competition (OK, I used that word too, sorry).

The 50% rule is a part of the proposed rule, along with the 30 QSO limit,
to address those situations where you have a rover with 10 total QSOs
versus a rover with say 500 total QSOs.   Neither rule works alone.   This
proposed change represents a tweak of the existing rule, not a whole sale
change in the rules.  "Tweak" is indeed a funny term to use in that for
those few rovers who are impacted, it may move them to the unlimited rover
category, but its my own opinion, based upon experience and a review of
ARRL rover contest data, that this tweak will not impact the majority of
rovers.

Looking at myself, as a ten or eleven band rover and living in the land of
rovermania ("Rove Iowa !"), I think that I may have exceeded the "30 QSO"
limit maybe once or twice in the past several  years, but it would have
been uncommon.   Again, I run 10 bands and there are rovers all around me.
I doubt that I have ever exceed the 50% rule - again its possible but
uncommon.   However, if these rule adjustments do go into affect, and in
the future if I did work any one rover more than 30 times or if more than
50% of my contacts came from fellow rovers, then W0ZQ/R would be an
unlimited rover and I hope that everyone will still speak kindly of me ....
please don't tell my Mother.

OK, joking aside, I actuallly do have plans for running in the unlimited
rover category for one of this summers major contests .... I am looking
forward to trying something new and perhaps setting a new Dakota Division
record in a new category.    I also hope that some newbies get out and have
a chance to play in the new limited rover category ... this would make a
great presentation to make at your local FM club (ie, weak signal, "cheap
yagis", and the new limited roving class (FM too !))

73, Jon
W0ZQ