[VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

Lew Sayre lew at dsl-only.net
Thu Feb 26 14:09:37 PST 2009

> Yo,

      K5QE has done a very nice job of setting forth his philosophy of VHF
contesting.  He makes an excellent case for the establishment of assisted
classes for all VHF contesting.  I really enjoy the finding of the other
station as much as the actual making of the QSO.  Marshall puts a premium on
only making the QSO which isn't nearly as much fun finding and then making
the QSO for me. We both agree that making lots of QSOs is a desired thing.
    Which approach is correct?
    Probably both.  Radio should be fun and fun is defined differently by
different groups of people.
      If finding stations isn't fun for you, then you should be able to use
packet systems, skimmers, FM alerting nets, telephones, internet, smoke
signals-whatever. I should not have to compete against you though because
I'm just using my little brain and single radio station without assistance.
If your fun is working the stations, then knock yourself out and use all the
technology, guile, wits and systems to work all of them that you can.
Eventually I see this class as being nothing but an internet game played on
a computer where radio waves are the weakest link.
    The old fashioned use of the big knob on the front of the radio and
calling CQ and personal knowledge of tropospheric and ionospheric conditions
all helps me alone to find stations.....and then work them.  It's a 2 part
series for me when contesting: 1)Find a station 2)Work the station and a lot
of them
     Marshall argues effectively that he and many others find fun in
contesting as a 1 step maneuver: 1) Work the station and a lot of them. I'm
glad that is fun for him and hope he is on the air a great deal.  Activity
is good!
    I don't think it's fair to compete against K5QE when he uses all the
aids to find his stations for him.  We should have separate categories
because otherwise it is like one station against many stations all in 1
category.
    Different philosophies about contesting exist.  The "old-fashioned" non
assisted single operator has been around since the start.  We should be able
to accomodate newer technologies by recognizing the assistance and
classify it as such.
    I believe the rules aren't trying to diminish the number of contacts
being made but rather are trying to keep the operator skill sets important
in a contesting environment.
    At the end of the contest will you feel good about the skills you used
or feel good because you pressed all the correct buttons at the right time
utilizing all the most recent technology?  Answer that question and then get
on developing your skills or your technology system and have a good time.
     73 and I remain,
     Lew    W7EW