[VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 16:54:52 PST 2009

Society is full of ambiguity and inaccuracy.  While this is difficult for engineers and programmers to truly understand, it is at the very core of the human condition.

That doesn't make something "broken" or "dysfunctional".  It simply makes it human.  Its' discussion likewise fills a human need to collaboratively attempt to resolve the apparent inconsistencies.

Ultimately...the sponsors of a contest will decide what "rules" they think are important (e.g. - the single op's 500 meter circle may not move within a grid...even though there is no prohibition to that in the stated rules) and what is not (e.g. - rovers may circle to their heart's content and be publicly celebrated for doing so, even though such actions fail to meet the stated objectives of the event).

I, for one, am thankful to the ARRL for their defense of my hobby and their sponsorship of events that bring me joy.  My hope is that those in Newington realize that when someone states a dissenting opinion, it is not usually indicative of opposition; rather, it is usually an indication of an attempt to help affect a more positive outcome.

Onward.
Ev, W2EV