[VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

kb7dqh at donobi.net kb7dqh at donobi.net
Fri Feb 27 00:24:14 PST 2009

Huh???? Skeds???? What's a sked????

I have operated as part of the limited or unlimited Multiop station K7CW
in the June VHF test nearly every time it was set up and operated... from
many different mountaintops all over the Northwest Division... since 1998.
 I generally operated the bands 222 and above... and NEVER set up a sked
before the event!!!!!  Occasionally would get a "band run request" from
one of the lower band ops, or would QSY someone up to microwave from
UHF...
Pay attention to pre-contest rover routes and band availability? Yes.
Published operations from other portable stations? Sure. But I never made
an actual "scheduled" contact!

Considering the remoteness of our operations the only way to do it was
call CQ and LISTEN!  Even on 1296 and as equipment became available,
above... That tends to heat the rotator up, turning a degree or two, call,
listen, call again, turn... change bands, step and repeat...

As far as winning, we have won in the Northwest division every year I know
of... Correct me if I am wrong Paul...
Eric
KB7DQH