[VHFcontesting] Contesting Philosophy

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 07:45:27 PST 2009

We seem to have a strange meaning for the word "schedule".

To me, a  "schedule" is something set up a significant time in the future.  A
 "schedule" is not something set up for as soon as you can possibly do it.
That is a "request".

Contrary to K5QE's posting, there has never been any  ban in HF contests on
skeds made before a contest.  They just aren't used  much, because any plan to
show up on 7040 at 0600z is likely to fail when you  find W3LPL or IR4T is
already very busy there.

"Requests" made over the  air, whether to go to 40 meters or 432 MHZ, have
always been OK.   Requests made over the telephone or internet, are not.

There is no  problem with using radios to line up a "contact".  Nobody has a
problem  with using 2 meters to align a microwave path.  I do have a problem
with  using a telephone to say "OK, now I'm calling you on 432.115, can you
hear me?",  especially if coming out of the telephone is the CW sidetone of guy
doing the  calling.

Many years ago the Kansas City DX Club had a great video at their  Dayton
hospitality suite.  Based on some shady HF contest operations of the  time, it
went like this:

K0LID:   CQ contest from  K0LID.

Radio:   $&#%#H*#$(%

K0LID:   CQ contest from K0LID

Radio:    #(W*#@@%

(Telephone Rings)

K0LID on Telephone:    Hello?  What? Oh, OK!

K0LID on Radio:    Oscar Hotel  Zero Whiskey you're Five-nine-Oh-Four

K0LID:   Oscar Hotel Zero Whiskey, QSL, Thank you  very much, QRZ from K0LID

73  -  Jim   K8MR

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)