[VHFcontesting] A Suggestion for Rovers, and everyone else too

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 18:53:37 EST 2009

Jim - You gave very good advice to rovers:"
	...instead of just disappearing before hitting the band switch,
please take a moment to say something like
		 "THIS IS K8ROV/ROVER - ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE BEFORE I GO?"
I learned this the hard way by nearly losing a contact on one
occasion. And then repeating it on another occasion. Now I always ask.
Or nearly always ask. The station you are moving usually understands.
Which reminds me of several other rules for rovers I try to follow
that others might find useful:
1. Always announce your grid when calling CQ. People need to know you
are not a dupe.
2. Always identify as a rove. People need to know that they can work
you again and agian.
3. Always use phonetics for calls and grid square. There is too much
room for error otherwise.
4. Announce when you are in a new grid.
5. Always ask if they have any other bands.
6. When they say no, they don't have any other bands, ask them if they
have FM on those other bands. Even a handy talkie? I have given and
received   several QSOs this way.
7. Announce when you are leaving a grid. Give a last chance CQ.
There are probably others. Following the above will help you make more
QSOs and reduce the number of busted contacts. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey