[VHFcontesting] Repair for Beko Elektronik HLV-280 Amp

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jan 18 13:23:02 EST 2009

After contacting the US distributor, I hired an electrician to come to my shack and install a 220 Volt AC line for this beautiful amp. Per their instructions, the outlet was wired to be 110 volts on each leg for a total of 220 volts. This was verified using a multimeter several times.

After some digging, we obtained a suitable power cord, and at last performed the "smoke test". As you could guess, it was literally that. A harsh "crack", a wiff of some from the back of the amp where the power supply is located and nothing else. Surprisingly, the fuse did not blow.

So, now I'm at a loss. Will need to have the amp repaired, and then try to figure out what caused the problem in the first place. Amp is a "long term loan", so this will all be on my dime. Any advice appreciated. Yes, I did send an e-mail to the company in Germany, waiting on a reply now.

73,

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111