[VHFcontesting] UPDATE Re: Yaesu FT-2000 on 6 meters

Paul N1BUG paul_n1bug at verizon.net
Thu Jan 29 11:15:53 EST 2009

Several months ago, I offered comments on the Yaesu FT-2000 in
response to a question that was asked about its use on 6 meters.
Since Yaesu recently released a software update for the radio which
fixes many of the issues, I wanted to update what I said previously
for the record. I am appending my earlier comments below for the
sake of clarity.

So far as I can tell, at least for my operations, the AGC issue is
completely resolved with the "PEP2000" software update. I am very
thankful for that! The factory default AGC settings are now quite
reasonable and useful. I no longer need to drastically adjust the
menu settings (and suffer unpleasant side affects) to compensate for
AGC oddities.

The DNF (automatic notch), DNR (noise reduction), and Contour
functions have been significantly improved.

I still cannot comment about the speech processor or related issues,
since I rarely if ever operate SSB. I don't even know what drawer my
microphone is in... haven't seen it in months!

My earlier comments on receiver IMD still stand. That, of course,
cannot be corrected through software.

All in all I find the rig to be much better now. If I were making an
informed purchasing decision today, the FT-2000 would probably come
out the winner despite its remaining performance shortfall. YMMV, of
course!

73,
Paul N1BUG