[VHFcontesting] Unlimited Rover Category Comments

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 20:54:31 PDT 2009

I had no idea that my comments on the low activity in the Unlimited
Rover division would draw so much attention. I have heard from
everyone that roved in that category now, all 5 of them plus one of
the ops on the 5 I heard from. I talked to one before the contest, one
privately off list, and four replies on the list.

I don't have any arguments with anyone's motives for participating in
the Unlimited Rover Category, and certainly didn't mean to imply that
in my analysis. I think everybody who participated in the category had
a valid reason to do so.

Having said that, I can't imagine the category existing long with that
few entries each contest. Perhaps some classic rover stations will
move up to the Unlimited Rover category? There are lots of unclaimed
plaques to be had.

And I have nothing against cherry picking one's category to maximize
the opportunity to finish high. The category should be chosen before
the contest starts instead of after it is over though. I think
everyone in this year's unlimited category did the right thing.

I will do a bit more analysis on the shift between categories as
someone asked. But for now it seems like the Classic category is
suffering due to the increased Limited Rover entries. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey