[VHFcontesting] a new Strategy for home and club stations

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 19:01:43 PDT 2009

Nate - You are strictly correct. But, some OSes and NTP programs keep
track of how much time it adjusts for when you are connected to a time
server and adjust the operating clock accordingly even it it is not
able to access a NTP server.

Actually, I usually hit a few places that have internet access along
the way when I rove. Restaurants, motels, coffee shops. A quick
connect is all that it takes to get the time synced again.

Also, if one uses a GPS, the time can be determined from that and the
computer's clock set.

But there really shouldn't be any reason why one can't have a clock
that is accurate to  a minute or better over the course of the
contest. There are lots of options.

Nice to see you this weekend at HamCon. Point the beams south and
listen for the weak ones this contest. - Duffey