[VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 03:24:26 PDT 2009

> It occurred to me that I had a perfectly good Kenwood TH-F6A
> in the truck that puts out five watts on 2, 440, and 222.
> Would it have been legal and/or ethical to simply "hand"
> them the radio and invite them to participate in the contest
> by working me on the spot?

The issue of "legal" is better asked after having read and understood the rules for the event as published by the sponsor.  Every one is different.  Applying one sponsor's rules to other sponsor's events is meaningless.

For instance, ARRL contests prohibit 'log-submitting participants' (a powerful phrase and highly exploitable loophole) from using one transceiver under more than one call sign in a contest.  VHF Sprint contests have no such rule in place.

The issue of "ethical" is entirely different, and is quite complex and subjective; even arguable (some believe that this is the reason for the existence of e-mail lists <g>)

Regards,
Ev, W2EV