[VHFcontesting] Questions on making a valid contest QSO.

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 16:25:32 PDT 2009

For most contests, this is sufficient:

CQ contest K7CW
W9RM
W9RM (report)
Thanks (report)
73 CQ contest K7CW

As far as the FCC
is concerned, I am legal and you are legal. As far as most contest
rules are concerned, the necessary information is passed and confirmed.
The QSO is complete.

Now, I don't want to get into any arguments
about whether this is true on VHF. What the "rules" are for completion
of meteor scatter QSOs and what the "rules" are for completion of a VHF
contest QSO may be quite different. My opinion is that the old "rules"
established back in the 50s by W1HDQ and others should not necessarily
apply nowadays. There are, however, circumstances where confusion might
still occur, such as when several stations are battling it out on a
FSK441 calling frequency. A bit more regimentation might be called for
here because all signals decode the same, and it is recommended (but
usually not demanded). You just use your head. But, I see no reason why
time should be wasted in a contest repeating callsigns, when they are
already understood. I ask, shouldn't one be required only to be legal,
then otherwise choose to operate the contest in his own manner? If
someone needs to have a call repeated, he can ask for it. As I said
before, contest rules will state it if both stations need to say both
calls.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

73,
Paul, K7CW