[VHFcontesting] 6 Meter Sprint Report

Bob Mantell k4esa at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 15:54:49 PDT 2009

I sold my FT-847 a few weeks back, so the only 6 meter rig I had was the 10 watt Kenwood TS-600.   I was not planning to be home, but at the last minute my evening opened up.

I dusted of the TS-600 and then remembered the 6 meter yagi was still down after the storm took out my trees.  So I used my MFG-949 tuner to dial up(or down?) the 5 element 10 meter yagi I had gotten back on the air last week.  It is only up twenty feet, but works good for 10 band openings.

First call I hear is Bob, W4ZST who is about 48 miles away over some rough terrain,  NE is not my best VHF direction, so things are looking good..  I hear 3 other stations he works, so I move up a few kc and call CQ for 10 mintines, but no one comes back.

I wind up working only 6 of the 21 staions I hear,  working only folks in my same grid other than the first one.  Did not hear any of the stations to the south that I can regularly work.

Results 6 QSOs 2 grids

Does 10 watts count as QRP?

73 de Bob,

 K4ESA EM74qc