[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 26 21:26:32 PDT 2009

To be ultra-clear here..

You added "grid-circling" to your reply.  This rule change has nothing
to do with that, nor does it even address it. Any rover can still
grid- circle their little hearts out under the rules.

You say "simplification" is good for rovers but not for limited multi-
ops because somehow only fixed stations have the mental ability to
understand the pros and cons of 222 vs. 1.2 GHz which would be mildly
insulting if it weren't so obviously thoughtless.

You also bring up that people get upset at the perceived speed of rule
changes which was also not mentioned at all in my previous message. I
didn't complain about the speed, I complained that the rules were
ALREADY PUBLISHED and then changed.  It would have been more
appropriate to say since the rules were already out for 2009 that this
change would take effect in 2010 and the change documented in QST this
year.

Finally you admonished me to compete. I've already won the Rocky
Mountain Division unlimited rover category twice in 2006 & 2007.  And
I rejoined the W0KVA unlimited multi-op station in 2008, helping them
post their first ever top-ten national ranking last year.  I think I
know how to compete.  Noooo problemo.  My concern is the NEW rovers,
of which we only see one or two a year in my area.  This change may
have helped them against an "all microwave" rover working with a TEAM
of other rovers and fixed stations, but they will ALWAYS lose to any
such organized group.  Forcing them to buy 222 if they already had
902, 1.2, or even 10 GHz did nothing to change that fact.

I didn't "cut any slack" because this rule change is yet again, poorly
thought through.

For "limited" roving...

If you own a TS-2000X... You just got hosed by the VUAC and ARRL.

If you own an IC-910 with 1.2... You just got hosed.

If you own an FT-857/897 or IC-706 and ANY other band transverter
other than 222 MHz... You just got hosed.

If you own an FT-857/897 or IC-706 and any number of cheap commercial
927 MHz FM rigs... You just got hosed.

If you have an interest in the microwaves only... You just got hosed.

The LAST scenario was the only one they were supposedly trying to
eliminate, and even that doesn't jive with the stated goal of the June
contest.  If the Limited Rover is a "stepping stone" to the Unlimited
Rover, then limiting THREE bands is appropriate MAYBE, and the fourth
band is the operator's option.

Imagine the uproar if the same limitations were also imposed on the
Limited Multi-ops with similar stations as listed above?

Let's see parity on the "Limits" between Limited Rover and Limited
Multi-op. And let's see a Limited Single-op category too instead of
only a power level distinction.

And if grid-circling is the REAL perceived problem, then ban it
completely and make it stick.

Personally the more frustrated I become at the constant illogical
changes that dance around this FAKE problem... Since the stated goal
of the contest is "as many contacts as possible"... It just makes me
want to go form a new circling team of rovers that ignore the fixed
stations altogether, just like the Californians.  We'd have fun.

Who wants to meet up in Colorado next year, rovers? Texas?  Whatever.
Let's go.  Want to set some distance records, we'll send someone up
Pikes Peak to over 14,000 MSL and have line-of-sight to Kansas.

This rule change fixed one problem and in the process alienated any
new rover who doesn't have 222, and took effect after the rules were
already published for this year, without communication of any sort
from our representatives on the VUAC. It also purposefully
disenfranchised people who ARE working piles and piles of microwave
contacts.

I've said this one before, too... Does ARRL want an OPERATING contest
or a BUILDING contest?  If the REAL problem is folks operating
equipment they didn't purchase themselves, or didn't build/assemble
themselves, then ban THOSE activities for everyone and start requiring
proof-of-purchase labels or receipts for components.  (Obviously
that's not going to happen either, and I'm saying it only to point out
that the perceived problems are not being met head-on with solutions.)

The California girl beat the other Limited Rovers with strategy and
someone else's money and stations.  It showed a logical flaw in the
Limited Rover that could have been fixed with a three-or-less band
limitation without all the above examples of collateral damage. And it
could have been fixed sooner than three weeks before the largest
annual contest of the season.

"Fair" enough?

--
Nate Duehr