[VHFcontesting] Changes to VHF Contest Rule - A brief note from your Dakota Div VUAC Rep

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Wed May 27 08:35:40 PDT 2009

Hi guys.    Some/many of the 16 member VUAC  are on this reflector, so it
provides a great opportunity for informal discussions.   In that spirit,
and in order to reduce the number of emails, I have put together a summary
to address some of the questions that have been raised regarding the rule
changes .... I did this myself as W0ZQ, Dakota VUAC rep, so any and all
errors are mine.

1)  Why is the Limited Rover just the lowest four bands ?
The primary purpose of the RL class is to attract newcomers to the
experiences of roving AND to allow those with limited equipment to compete.
A scan of any of the recent contests on the ARRL website demonstrates that
the vast majority of RL (80% and more) competed with 6, 2, and 432.   The
most common fourth band is 222 where some of those contacts are 223.5, a
band/mode that a newcomer to weak signal VHFing will often have. (The fifth
most common band was 1296 at about 1/3 the usage rate as 222).  The rule
also applies itself well to the UHF contest where those lowest four bands
are 222, 432, 902, and 1296.  The rule is simple and it enhances the design
intent.

2)  As a rover, why should I ever expand above four bands ?
Good question, and one that was debated by the VUAC also.   There are
parallel arguments to the limited multi-op situation too.   I think every
rover has to ask this question to themselves.   If you have a good RL
set-up, and enjoy this operating class, then enjoy and have fun with it.
On the other hand, many rovers, myself included, will tell you the fun and
excitement of making UHF & uW Q's .... for example during the last UHF
contest I remember sitting at a spot just south of the Twin Cities
listening to the rovers down in Iowa running stations on 1296 and 2304 with
a really nice tropo opening - that was a hoot and that is why I rove.   So,
will some rovers decide to optimize their RL station and never expand -
yes, some will, but others will use this experience to continue to expand
and explore the World Above and the fun things that you can do on the high
bands.   In summary, each rover will have to answer this question
themselves.

3)  What if my four bands are not the "lowest four bands" ?
You can either limit your operation to just those four lower bands that you
do have, or you can use what you have and operate as a (classic) rover.
Personally I would do the latter as its more fun!

4)  Can a RL make Q's on bands above the lowest four bands ?
As always I defer to the Contest Manager as he interprets the rules.   In
my opinion the answer is no.  If you do, then you are a (classic) rover,
not a Limited Rover - the text of the rule seems clear to me.

5)  What about any changes regarding rover-to-rover contacts ?
The VUAC did propose a change to reduce the number of contacts that any one
rover can make with any one other rover from 100 contacts to 30 as well as
a rule that sets the maximum percentage of Q's a rover can make with all
fellow rovers (combined) at 50%.  This proposal would not have impacted the
Unlimited Rover, only the RL and Rover class.   This proposal was reject by
the ARRL PSC (to whom we report to).

I hope this helps.   Again, my role here is as the Dakota Division VUAC rep

Regarding process, I want you to know that your 16 member VUAC has had good
discussion on each of these proposed changes and that our final proposal
was sent to the ARRL's PSC in early January, ahead of their board meeting
(s) and well ahead of publication dates.

73, Jon
W0ZQ