[VHFcontesting] Changes to Rover Limited and such

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Wed May 27 15:52:21 PDT 2009

Whew.... You guys have got your timing all screwed up!   The grid
circling blow up is supposed to be AFTER the contest, not before!   Now
what are we going to complain about after the contest??? hi hi.

It was good to see Jon, W0ZQ, jump in with the VUAC's point of view.
And, this may not be a real popular opinion, but I happen to agree with
the decision.  The Rover Limited category should be the bottom 4
bands.   I would have been OK with letting the station pick the 4th
band, with the choices being 222, 900, or 1296, but I can live with the
222 requirement.

Here is how I see it, and where some folks may disagree with me.   Rover
limited is intended for new Rovers, or Rovers with LIMITED
capabilities.    In my opinion, if you are capable of operating on
microwave bands, or have 5 or more bands, then you have progressed
beyond being a limited Rover and should be competing in the Classic or
Unlimited categories.

Disclaimer:   I currently operate as a Limited Rover.  I have 3 bands
currently.  Six, Two, and 432.   I have  a pretty decent setup on those
three bands, and plan to add 222 someday.  Adding 900, 1296, and higher
may happen in the future, but honestly it will likely be many years down
the road.  Activity levels in my area just don't justify the expense.
When / if  I do add the 5th band I will start entering as  a Classic
Rover, just like I did before the limited category was created.
Besides, I can whip everyone in Rover Classic just as well as I can the
Rover Limited category.  HAH!  Think you can beat me?  Come on, bring
it!  Show what you've got!!  :-)

Mandatory grid circling comments:

In my opinion...  Grid circling is not an ethical way of operating a
contest.   Obviously, some folks disagree with me.  So when the new
categories were created to give Limited Rovers some encouragement, and
an unlimited category for experimenters and folks who enjoy their "road
rally" type operations I was OK with that.  With the unlimited category,
they could have their fun and not be grouped with "normal" rover
operations.  But when a group uses grid circling techniques to max out
the scores of stations and then enters the Limited and Classic
categories, then that is a flagrant fowl.

In a nut shell, if you want to grid circle go for it!  Have a blast,
enjoy the contest!  But keep your entry in the Unlimited Rover
category.  Grid circling does not belong in the Rover Limited, or
Classic Rover category.

Of course, my opinion and $5 may get you a cup of coffee at Star Bucks.....

73
Dan
--
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at: