[VHFcontesting] Frank K3UHF Story is priceless!

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Wed May 27 12:04:49 PDT 2009

Sometimes a good story can illustrate a point much more accurately than any
listing from a database, statistics, or spreadsheet could hope to
accomplish.

The mental picture of three guys standing 500 feet apart working each other
on FM handhelds and Ramsey Laser Light kits is priceless!

Grid circling may not be illegal, but it clearly is not the intention of the
contest. Here in Alabama, we usually have one or possibly two rovers in any
given contest. To their credit, they have usually worked a variety of bands,
including the microwave bands, and always make an effort to work everyone
that they can.

Bill Capps, AF4OD has spent literally an hour or more completing a contact
with me on 432mhz and 1.2ghz just to give me a new grid square. If getting
the high score was his only motivation, he'd never bother with my weak
indoor antenna signals. But on the other hand, I hate to see efforts like
his rewarded with little or nothing in terms of credit.

I've seen what goes into his effort. More than once I've spoken to him after
the contest as he made a long drive home. Sometimes exciting, and sometimes
wondering why he even bothers. This year as several of us discussed roves
during the June contest, more than once talk turned to questions like,
"Should we try to grid circle just so we can be competitive?"

In a section that fields one or two rovers for each event, why would that
even be a consideration? Part of it is the legitimate fear that a small
group of hams, somewhere in the section or division will reenact that scene
from Seattle that Frank described. Three guys with handy-talkies and laser
lights would easily beat the best day that Bill ever had.

Isn't it time this issue was addressed once and for all? I've already
written Jay Isbell, KA4KUN & Greg Sarratt, W4OZK to let them know that while
I'm pleased with the Limited Rover rule change, I'd like to see the issue of
grid circling addressed.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf