[VHFcontesting] Fixed station that also despises grid circling

Todd Sprinkmann sprinkies at excel.net
Wed May 27 12:15:39 PDT 2009

   Steve K4GUN wrote (in part):

If you fail to see why grid circling is not a problem, then I can see why
you understand the PSC's stance with regard to the VUAC's recommendations.
The rovers know the problem.  We may disagree on the solution, but there is
consensus on the problem.  The PSC is now on record as supporting an
activity that is clearly and widely despised by the vast majority of VHF
rovers.  The decision is absolutely absurd.

   Todd KC9BQA adds:

   Steve, it's not just ethical rovers who despise grid circling.  This fixed
station operator also would like to see it eradicated. Or at the very least,
marginalized so that it becomes an outcast-type behavior.

   I enjoy having a strong fixed station that I specifically designed with
VHF/UHF Contesting in mind.  I did this out of passion and enthusiasm.  I
quickly discovered (I came into VHF/UHF as a totally new ham) that the rovers
are the best part of any VHF/UHF contest.  Here in the Midwest, we enjoy a
lot of camaraderie and team spirit.  Lots of rovers go out and we  gratefully
work each other, to our mutual benefit.  Activity continues to increase, and
I play a very active role in promoting it.

   If I came across (like K3UHF did) a group of superbly-equipped stations
who were only interested in working each other across trivial distances, I
would expect that they aren't operating in the same contest as the rest of
us.  Nor should they be.  Why?

   It still comes back to this:
   1.  Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many 2 degrees by 1
degrees grid squares as possible using authorized amateur frequencies above
222 MHz and all authorized modes of emission.

   You can play with those words all you want, but a strong majority of
VHF/UHF contesters live by them.  There's no point in rewarding contest
participants who do not.  Whatever committee within ARRL that thinks
grid-circling should be rewarded (worse yet, PUBLICIZED in QST) is seriously
misguided.

   K3UHF's open letter to ARRL nailed it.  I support his letter and if a
petition-type campaign to ARRL decision-makers is necessary, then we need to
get started right now.

   For all you folks who read along here in the background, and just enjoy
VHF/UHF Contesting the way you always have, congratulations.  You have our
respect and admiration.  Stay active, keep roving and safe travels.  But
please consider speaking your mind to the ARRL decision makers who can change
the rules for the better.  Don't just sit back and assume that logic will
eventually prevail.  So far, it has not.

   73,
   Todd   KC9BQA   EN63ao   40 N of Milwaukee
   http://www.kc9bqa.com   For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates