[VHFcontesting] Win???

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Wed May 27 13:24:12 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 16:15:03 n8ofs at mjbrowns.com wrote:
> What happened to having fun???  :)

I think the vast majority of us do, regardless of where we are,
etc.

I've been reading these threads for a year+ now, and I'm not
sure how to "fix" it.  If there are rovers using HT's to make
contacts < 1m, so be it, I guess.  You can't disallow HT's, for
a lot of hams (people we'd like to get into the contests) have
only those and however wimpy they are, its still participating.
You can't change the distance requirements, as some of the
microwave bands are tricky to do--I daresay 119G in the June
contest with moisture isn't going to go far.

What I worry about is trying to tweak the rules, and what
that does to the contests overall.  A philosophy of mine is to
keep things as simple as possible.  Ever see member of a
club fight over interpreting their complex bylaws?

There are always going to be people who try and manipulate
things to their advantage.  Packs of rovers contacting each
other as often as possible seems to be one of those conditions
that do in fact break the spirit of the contest.  But how one
codifies not doing that seems an effort in futility, because
one one condition is fixed, thus minded folks will think of
the next rule/condition to use to their advantage, and the
entire cycle starts over again.

Me, I'm going to be a part of W8PGW in en82 and see if we
beat previous scores of ours.  The windmills I'd like to tilt
are more personal, like doing better...

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82